Wednesday, October 15, 2014

From the Journal of Torch: The MC and Choice of Good

My father once told me that the good I do today will be forgotten tomorrow, but I must do good anyway.

The tenet of my faith that resounds most solidly within me is simple: Choose for Good.

There is so much that can fit into those words.

Choose.

I have always believed that goodness exists, but often wondered if it could ever be a natural state.

And in Bravo, I have come to the realization that it does not matter.

There are people I have seen who have thrown themselves into the course of selfless action without hesitation. I have seen others war with themselves and others before making the same decision.
But the fact is, they made the decision to do good.

They chose to do Good.

I have seen Dakota run towards screaming voices while others stayed behind.

I have watched JD grow a righteous anger so slowly, yet so terrible.

I have beheld Timothy drop everything because a friend said there might be trouble.

And these are the people, for the longest time that made me decide that good can be inherent. They slipped so easily into it, it was hard to see them being anything else. Surely they walked with lanterns, though they knew it not.

Then I met the MC.

They are people who chose each other over good or bad. I have never seen them do anything that one would consider bad or evil, though I have been told most are lawbreakers and felons.

I have started following them as Dakota has decided to try to join them, and where Dakota goes, JD goes, member or not. I have found that Timothy also belongs to them... and I am never one to let my friends walk through the dark alone.

And in lawbreakers, I have found those I would label good people.

Law does not determine goodness. After all, many places allow slavery, and there is no greater crime against your fellow man as wrapping his body or soul in chains.

But I digress...

I found Chloe, an Iron who I have seen at forges pounding out great plates of steel for people. I have seen her fix buildings, and work on stills... Her strength is greater than any two men I have ever seen... That which does not kill us, makes us stronger... what tribulations must she have endured to be so strong?

I found Cutter, who I see in a barely restrained violence. He seems to have an impulse to overreact to threats and perceptions of disrespect. I see it as a survival mechanism, and I admit, I see a darkness in him. But I also see light. I have seen him bitch and complain, but I have seen him stride into the rain to follow his sworn brothers and sisters just to make sure they stay safe. Cutter knows it not, I am sure, but there are stories of terrible winged servants of God who did terrible wicked things. Even God needs monsters. Cutter seems a long way from that.

And Slink... what can I say about her. She confuses me. When I first met her, she seemed like she barely had time to sit still. Always in motion. People spoke of her in a way that made her hard to pin down. Some spoke with affection.  Others spoke with disdain. None of them have spoke the truth of who she is.

She is a reluctant leader, because despite her attempts to be a loner, she is becoming a leader and possibly a champion. Like the others, I can see the violence and darkness. But I stood in a dark night with her as the White Lady passed. I saw her friends gathered around her, wanting to protect her... I saw the hesitation, and perhaps fear, in her. Does she follow? Does she lead her friends away? And the change was obvious when someone said "She is going to Boot Hill. Ash is still there."

Simple words, no hesitation. She walked. We followed. Because a truth lies in Slink that she is willing to sacrifice when others are not, so they do not. And those who follow her do the same.

I do not doubt that a single person would hesitate to lie down beside the others and go with them to the gravemind en masse, if there was the chance that standing together would prevent it.

And make no mistake... whatever shades of grey they are, there are shades of black and white as well. But there are few greater acts than the willingness to lay down your life so that others may live.

And no matter what happens, I will not forget the good they do.

No comments:

Post a Comment